Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gainax Charity Book

Japanese Animation Studio Gainax ( Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Evangelion ) made a Charity Book to benefit the people who where affected by the earthquake in Japan.  Proceeds will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross Society.  Here is a link to the Gainax Charity Book website: http://talkliveanimated.web.fc2.com/

I love Japan and always wanted to visit.  I was shocked to see the devestation caused by the earthquakes and tsunami.  I was concerned about my friends in Japan and I prayed for their safety.  Fortunately, they were fine, but many were affected by the disasters.

Since Gainax has come to visit Pixar, I have remained in contact with them.  Gainax immediately wanted to put together a Charity Book.  I was asked to be a part of the book.  I was honored to be a part of this amazing cause.  They told me that the theme of the book was Gurren Lagann and I knew I wanted to draw something that was a mash-up of Gainax and Pixar.  So I did this drawing of the Gurren Lagann characters dressed up like superheroes.  I also wanted to draw something that was uplifting and to me, superheroes have always been uplifting.

One of the cool things that happened was I was asked to invite some friends to participate in the book, so I asked guys who I knew loved Gainax and it sort of became a mini Avatar the Last Airbender reunion.  Its cool because we are all split in different studios, Pixar, Nickelodeon and Warner Brothers.  Here is a list of the guys who participated: Dean Kelly, Grant Alexander, Kenji Ono, Kihyun Ryu, Lauren Montgomery, Michael Chang, Seung-Hyun Oh, Bryan Konietzko, Elsa Garagarza, Ethan Spaulding, Ian Graham and Joaquim Dos Santos.  I want to thank these guys for helping out!

I will try to get more information on how to get the book in the U.S.  In the meantime if you would like to help, please donate to the Red Cross: https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?idb=0&5052.donation=form1&df_id=5052


6 comments:

  1. WOW! I need this! This is amazing!!! Also I would have given all four of my kidneys to contribute! I love your piece too, they make an Incredible family! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work rubio! Gurren Lagann is one of my all time faves. I'll be on the lookout when the book is available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome drawing! I love Gurren Laggan

    ReplyDelete
  4. really really really really can't wait. I am ordering this as soon as its available

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are these guys supposed to be like the Incredibles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lionel, could be... at least a mash-up version. This is just a FAN made drawing. Nothing official in any way.

    ReplyDelete