Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GAINAX at PIXAR

I am a HUGE fan of the Japanese animation studio, GAINAX.  I've been in love with the studio and their animation ever since I was introduced to Evangelion.  As soon as I saw the kinetic action, the beautiful and emotional shots, I was immediately hooked. I absolutely adore FLCL and Gurren Lagann.  I've only seen a couple of their latest, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt , and from what I've seen, GAINAX has done it again and delivered a crazy-whacked out and addictive anime.  So when I received an email from Toyonori Yamada from Gainax, asking me if they can come by to visit Pixar, I was so excited to have them as my guests.  Whenever I hang out with Gainax I turn into a fanboy, so that's my explanation for some of the goofier pictures.  I had a great time hanging out with the Gainax staff that included: Sushio, Akemi Hayashi, Masahiko Otsuka, Kumiko Sano, Hiromi Wakabayashi, Toyonori Yamada and Satsuki Yamashita. Extra special thanks to the Pixar staff who helped me make the tour run so smoothly, especially to Mach Kobayashi, Akiko Minaga and Grant Alexander.




















7 comments:

  1. Lucky, looks like they had fun. how much networking goes on between east and west in the Animation industry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW I WANT TO VISIT THAT STUDIO STORE. *_*

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. This article has been featured on my animation blog. :) http://netbug-animation.blogspot.com/2011/04/gainax-and-pixar-pixar-and-gainax.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance of you guys getting together and making some great movies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Paradise, thanks for the feature!
    @Lionel, I would LOVE for that to happen. But, right now, they just came to visit. There is absolutely no official merging on any movie projects. But that's not to say that we as individual artist cannot work with one another. A few of us Pixar artist, including myself, did artwork for the Gainax Charity book to benefit people in Japan who were affected by the quakes.

    ReplyDelete